Friday, May 28, 2010

Thursday Travels

It didn't start out like a travel day because when I talked with Pam at about 6:00 AM she was not feeling well.  She was feeling a little puny on Wednesday evening and had a full blown fever when she went to bed so I was not surprised.

The great thing about being full-timers is that we have the option to change our plans most of the time.  So we did and she went back to sleep.  I read and sat out by the lake for a while, then decided to go for a walk around the campground/RV Park.

It has some great roads and trails and I went at a brisk pace.  Before I even got a 100 yards I saw the turf farm next to us getting ready to cut some sections and load them on pallets.
It looked like they had done a few and I didn't see anyone around so there were no action shots.

A little later, about a 1/2 a mile away I went by one of the lakes that has one of the larger 'beaches'.  This is never going to compete with the Florida beaches,
but it gets a lot of use in the good weather and I'm sure it will be busier later in the day.

Further along the campground I saw some interesting 'cotton'.  In this part of the country the giant cottonwood trees shed their 'cotton' during the spring and it was doing that now.
From a distance in certain places where it was accumulating, it looked like a dusting of snow.

The other side of the campground (which is fairly large with 497 campsites) has plenty of great sites with good views.
Along the way I saw some swans and their cygnets (I had to look that one up...I mean really who knows what baby swans are called?).
Here is one for you,  I see all kinds of birds near the campsite and I have no idea what they are called.  I get the hummingbirds, the robins, I recognize a finch now and then or an oriole...but what is this one called?
Any birders out there that can give me some help?  Know it would be better it I had a full size tripod, a larger camera with a telephoto lens and those kind of things...but for now I will have to see what I can do with my Canon SD1200 IS Digital Elph...

When I got back to the Roadrunner, Pam was up and had eaten a little bit and decided she was up for driving to Tennessee.  I took a shower, we finished packing up and were on our way by about 11:30 AM.

I drove about 2 1/2 hours and we stopped at a rest stop.  Where we switched drivers.
Pam drove a while while I took a siesta.  I was ready to go after about 30 minutes but we were in the midst of a series of rain showers.  It was a downpour! at times.  Always figures...she is driving and gets bad weather or a long highway construction zone...  We switched again and I drove the rest of the way.

We had a hold up near Cincinnati where a tractor trailer was turned over on the other side of the freeway so that delayed for awhile as traffic crawled through that area.  Then as we progressed into Kentucky, the sky cleared and it was a beautiful evening and nice time to be driving.

By the time we got to Maynardville (451 miles and 9 1/2 hours later) we both were pretty whupped.  We arrived just before it got dark and got our things out of the car and talked with Mike and Joan for a while before we went to bed.

That was our Thursday, first walking around the campground, then driving to Tennessee.  It was a loong day!   Thanks for viewing the Roadrunner Chronicles!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Randy - can't see the bird real well but it looks like a kildare - about the size of robin but longer legs and smaller - skinnier body with a white ring around it's neck. We have lotsa of these here in MN