Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Once in Lifetime Trip to the Masters

The Masters
I don't know if going to the Masters has been a lifelong goal, but it is certainly something that I have always wanted to do.  I never really dwelled on it our made it a 'lifelong goal' or anything like that.  I also would love to play Pebble Beach or the Old Course at St. Andrews.  Those are things I'd like to do  but I never obsessed about it. 

On Monday, three days ago, we walked the grounds of Augusta National Golf Club!  Leslie, (son-in-law Jonathan's sister) lives in Augusta and got tickets for us.  On Monday, you get to take pictures.  No cell phone is allowed.  It worked out great.

In a word - it was FANTASTIC!  We arrived at about 7:20, got onto the grounds about 7:35 and they let us onto the fairways at 8:00.

It was hard to describe - just amazing.  They truly are the most well-run operation I have been to.  DisneyWorld and DisneyLand are exceptional --- this place is a cut above that.  I took loads of pictures and will be adding to this page over the next few months with some shots and thots about our time at the Masters.

Here's the group before we started onto the course.  L-R:  Jonathan, Kelly and Pam.  Jon's sister Leslie, son Austin and husband Robert.
Augusta National has been buying up property adjacent to the course for 'patron' parking.  We were about 400 yards from the gate where we entered the course.

Augusta National has its rules and we certainly wanted to abide by them…
We entered through Gate 9 which was one of two main spectator gates.  Immediately I was struck with the well maintained grounds and orderliness.  On the left was a gift shop.  Not your standard tent set up with cash registers on folding tables.  Then we proceeded to the turn styles and security checkpoint.  Smiling faces, sincere greetings (seemed like it anyway) and well trained staff.  

Folks were wishing ME (us) a good day and hoping I enjoyed the tournament.  Are you kidding me?  I was so excited to be on the grounds, I was thinking, 'How does it get any better than this?'  How could a golf fan have a hard time enjoying this??

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.  And I was not even on the course…  

It was a beautiful morning.  We had a few moments to use the Men's Room (no port a potties on this course!), grab some coffee and hang out in one of the Gift Shop areas before we got onto the course.
The information board showed Bubba Watson teeing off at 8:00.  We were going to miss that because Gate 9 is a long way from Tee #1.  We were closer to hole #5.
As I wind it up for today, here are some of my favorite early morning shots:
Last year's champion Bubba Watson
And playing partner Rickie Fowler
Thanks for joining us on the Roadrunner Chronicles!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment