Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

Its Like Running a Thousand Miles

At least that is what this reminds me of.  Trying to keep the momentum going as we stare at the last two months of the year, I realize I want to blog more to get to my goal of 150+ blogs for the year.  Back in the 1990's when I was a runner and a younger man, I had quite a few miles left at the beginning of November and had to 'finish strong' to get over the 1000 miles mark for the year.  I did it.

We'll see how it goes with my blogging.  I think one item I deal with is momentum.  Inertia.  If I have been in the habit of writing one every other day, it is easier to get into the mode of doing them more consistently.  Lately, it has been easier not to do them because I haven't been as regular as I used to be.

But there are always ideas floating around in my head.  And lots of unfinished posts that I have not published yet.  Like 127 posts that I have started and not finished.  Thankfully I have finished far more than that in my 7 ish years of doing this.

Today finds us in Macon, GA where we are part of a Habitat for Humanity Care-A-Vanner build.  We are finishing up our first week and its been a good one.  We have met some great new people and have gotten to work on some houses doing different things.

Here we work on a Tuesday - Saturday schedule which works best with our Construction Coordinator Steve.  He is among the best we have worked with and was here two years ago when we first came to Macon.

Macon has one of the RV Care-A-Vanner campground/hookup sites we have been to in our travels around the country.
Since most of us were here and had the day off on Monday, we were available when they put out the call for some help in the warehouse to untangle some lights.  Every year, Habitat joins with a local fast food restaurant and has a dazzling light-synchronized-to-music-on-your-radio event.

To make that possible, it takes a lot of lights and know how and stuff that is stored in the warehouse.  Our job for a few hours was untangling and checking out the bulbs on strings of lights from last year.
After that we had an old fashioned hangout session in our neighborhood
On Tuesday the affiliate had breakfast and a kickoff meeting with the local staff.
Then out to two houses we worked on for the day.
Robert and I replaced a bathroom floor that was damaged.  Down the street, the rest of the team was caulking and painting another house.
In the evening, we gathered for a group meal in the HFH meeting room and had dinner together.
As you can see, I was a little premature on my photo.  The chicken and dressing casserole Carol prepared was terrific, along with the salad and brownies for dessert.

We are off to a great start in Macon and are looking forward to more of it in the next few days!

Thanks for joining us today on the Roadrunner Chronicles!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my.. untangling christmas lights.. that is a truly a Labor of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Randy, I have always taught my daughters that the test for a good husband is how well he untangles Christmas lights without using profanity. I think you won that test times ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you guys are back to house fixin. It is a win win thing and I am glad someone likes to do it. I can bend a nail, just by looking at it. Not my calling for sure.

    ReplyDelete