Pages

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Roadrunner 2.0 is Underway!

And just like that we are off!  We departed as planned at 7:30 am this morning. We crossed the Hampton Roads Bay Tunnel over the Elizabeth River looking east toward the Chesapeake Bay.

 We are en route to our first stop - Huntington WV.  Google maps says it will be about 6.5 hours of driving time.  We use a planning factor of about 55 miles an hour to include rest stops, fuel stops, etc.  That gets us there mid afternoon.  

We will see how the day goes but it is supposed to be a beautiful day and the traffic has been good.  A while back I came across this app which I like.


I thought you might find it useful too.  It shows the weather along the route.  Check it out!

Back to getting ready for the trip...

We were scrambling to get everything done before we left.  Maybe you can relate.  The last couple of weeks we were winding up a project st church. I also wanted get the lawn mowed, edged, Pam's garden squared away, flower beds weeded, and the truck packed for a 30 day trip.  We were busy.  We got most things done, but the weeds in the flower garden will have to wait. So will trimming the bushes for the next month.

Two days ago a series of events happened:

1) Stay with me here...I've been thinking over the last couple of years about writing another book:  "Mishaps, Misadventures, and Other Surprises."  I have notes of 25+ things that kinda went sideways while we were RV full-timers. They were not always fun at times, but as we look back they were part of the adventure and somewhat amusing now and were.

Thursday I had an incident that would fit into that same category.  Things are good now but then it was a little stressing.  Which led me to ponder:

2) God's goodness and the fact despite some of the headlines of the day, there are a lot of good and decent people out there...

First "the incident".  I'll never forget this one.....

Short version:

I lost my wallet about 2:00 P.M Thursday afternoon. But…My wallet was returned at 9:34 the same night!!

The only thing missing was my Military ID.  It took us an hour on Friday morning to drive over to Langley AFB and get a replacement. 

Longer version:

Thursday about 2:00 PM I remembered I put  my wallet on the back bumper of my truck while at church. I was answering a text from the pharmacy on base as I was loading stuff in the back of my truck. I pulled the tailgate down to load things and didn't see my wallet on the bumper.  I finished loading the truck and drove the base to pick up prescription. I reached for my wallet. I immediately had that sinking feeling.  It was not there.  Ugh. 

What followed was that voice in my head which said, "Calm down, this will work out."   I stopped, searched the truck just in case I was "mis-remmbering" then drove back to church,  I looked around, retraced my steps --- no wallet. Ugh...

I drove back the 6 mile back home looking on the parking lot, roadways etc.  Pam and I decided to see if we could get a new driver's license on short notice.  On the way there I cancelled two credit cards and my debit card.  

The people at the DMV couldn't have been nicer and more expeditious.  It was refreshing.  I got a temporary one and will get the real one overnighted to us in a few days.

Later that evening I was trying to think what all was in my wallet.  Medicare Card, National Park Pass, Lifetime Virginia Fishing License, Norfolk Botanical Garden Pass plus a couple of pictures and notes of Pam and Kelly that I have carried through the years.

And there was more cash than I usually carry since we were getting ready for the trip.  Then I thought next time, I'm going to make it easy and take a picture of what's in my wallet.  

None of this is earth shattering or even rises to the level of anything more that inconvenient. It got my blood pressure up I'm sure but I'm in the best shape I've been in for years after my heart attach a little over a year ago.

About that time, the doorbell rang. What?? It was 9:34 PM.

It was a guy returning my wallet!!!

He had come by the house 2 other times but we were gone canceling credit cards, getting a new driver's license.. Then we went to daughter Kelly's house for dinner at the last minute with Jon and the grandsons. 

So there I was trying to figure out what was going on.  

This random guy who drives for Door Dash found my wallet on the road near Northampton Blvd and Diamond Springs Road over 3.5 miles from church and 2.5+ from home. 

Is that amazing or what??  That is what I call divine intervention

I checked my wallet and everything was there -- all my cash and cards etc.  I gave him the biggest tip I've ever given anybody and stopped thanking him after about 5 or 6 times.  Wow.  I was so stunned.

Friday morning I came across Psalm 44:8. - "...in God we  make our boast all day long, and we will praise our name forever..."  I will tell this story for many years to come.  

So there's our excitement before our adventure on the road even began!  

1) First entry of "Mishaps, Misadventures, and Other Surprises," on our coast-to-coast trip; and

2) A vivid reminder there are still good people all around us in the world and I will praise the name of the Lord for His amazing care.  

That's all for now - thanks for joining us on the continuing adventures of the Roadrunner 2.0.

--

7 comments:

  1. Kathy and Barry McCoyMay 6, 2023 at 11:33 AM

    Praying for safety and happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention of the app - I have a solo drive from TN to WI in June for a writers conference and this will come in handy. Good luck on the road!

    Our Prime Years - Life in Tennessee
    DB McNicol - author | traveler | shutterbug
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Photographs
    Hopping thru my day - Personal Thoughts, Memories, & Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING STORY!! Thanking the Lord with you!! Have a wonderful trip you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reminder to capture the promise of His love and faithfulness as you begin this awesome adventure. May He use you during these miles ahead. ❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy Wagner TewaltMay 6, 2023 at 8:16 PM

      Anonymous in this case is Cindy Wagner Tewalt. I gotta adjust that setting. 🤦🏻‍♀️

      Delete
  5. What a great story! Now on to new adventures—how exciting!
    We are praying for both of you!
    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safe travels and I'm sure you will be extra-vigilant about knowing your wallet is in your pocket going forward. The young man who returned your property gives me hope for this world. Take care, and looking forward to updates over the next month.

    ReplyDelete