Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Getting Fixed Up

Pam and I have been a little bit overdue on physicals and those periodic medical appointments.  One of the specific things we decided a few months ago was that we were going to get caught up and 'fixed up' if necessary on our medical and dental needs.

Six months ago we made appointments for when we expected to be here in Virginia Beach.  And we have systematically checked them off.
  • Pam got a mammogram done and then a few days later had a follow up.  We did a different test and they took another look and now issues - everything is as it should be.
    -
  • Next were our physicals - both were scheduled the same day and again we both are healthy 61 year olds.  
  • We have missed our dental exam last year and it was time for cleaning and a check on cavities. I am always at a disadvantage when I get my teeth checked.  Pam is diligent, regular and thorough at cleaning and flossing.  It's hard to fake it when your mouth is open and the dentist asks, "Do you floss?".  Well no, not much and it showed.  He said I should do it and that failure to do so causes heart disease...What??... I had no idea and am not sure he is right, but really, I need to step it up and get with the program.  Too many of my friends at my age are losing their teeth.  Enough said - better dental hygiene is underway...
  • Next stop was everyone's favorite -- a colonoscopy.  First Pam's then mine.  It was 10 years since her last and 11 years for mine.  We picked up the prep stuff and she soldiered through it with no problems.  They put her under so to speak, but she was talking a bit and semi with it during the whole procedure though she could feel no pain.  I like the way Sentara  has their system set up.  We have Tricare military healthcare were in and out in about 3 hours.  No issues.  Everything looks good. After being on a liquid diet for 24 hours, we celebrated with lunch at Chick-Fil-A.
  • I didn't want to miss the fun, so a few days later it was my turn.  The challenge is the prep for the procedure.  How in the world am I going to get down 17 gallons of that stuff?? OK it might have only been one gallon.
  •  I drank half the night before my appointment.  The good news is the anti nausea pill that we had in order to get the 'oral solution' down.  No doubt about it, its a challenge.  They say to get it down as fast as you can.  So I did and 6:23 minutes later I got it done.
  • I had a 7:30 AM appointment so I was up at 3:30 AM for my pill and then again at 4:30 AM to drink the rest of it.  I almost got it all down. Then over to the appointment and into the procedure room at the hospital.  The last thing I remember the doctor saying was, "I am going to give you some magic juice".  Then the nurses were saying, "Wake up, we're all done." The doctor said, "Do you have any questions for me?"  I thought like---Who am I?, Where am I, etc etc...?
  • Good news no issues.  They removed 3 benign polyps. Come back again for this fun in 5 years... To celebrate, we went over to Waffle House.  Bubba Watson, the pro golfer who has won 2 Masters Championships - went to one after he won this year.  
  • I thought I'd try it out.  I haven't been to one in 40 years. Ugh - there's a reason I haven't been there in so long... It  got the job done.  I had a cheese omelet which was fine but
So much for our checkups and exams -- probably more than you wanted to know but its a major item on our 'To Do' list while here in Virginia Beach.  We are in good shape and nothing to worry about.  This lifestyle suits us.  Just need to keep up the exercise (and flossing) and eating more of Pam's great food and we should be OK.

Thanks for joining us today on the Roadrunner Chronicles!  Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. Den has to have a colonoscopy every 3 years.. mine 10..However, mine is coming up next year. We can put a man on the moon, but cannot come up with a better Prep for this test??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a colonoscopy every 3-5 years and I agree that it does seem like 17 gallons when I'm drinking that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine are every five years now and that is way too often when I think about drinking all that stuff. Just saw on the news where Virginia Beach got hit hard with a storm. Sure hope you guys are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim - it was stormy but when only got a lot of water and wind in the campground with some pine cones bouncing off the roof.

      Delete
  4. I had a tough time getting that stuff down and the morning of my test, got the last of it down and it came right back up. Test postponed. Got to do it all over again a few weeks later and managed to keep it all down that time. Then I heard that there is a new kind of pill you can take that takes the place of that glop I drank.

    I'll get down on my knees and beg for that pill next time if I have to. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I asked for the pill a few months ago. ..doc said nope. . .so down the hatch with the goop.

    A pill would be really great. . .right?

    It is a nice feeling to have all the physical stuff up to date. . .I think it's the only drawback to the lifestyle. . .you either need to return once a year to your "regular" doctor. . .or you need to go through the whole rigamarole of seeing a "new" doctor in a "new" place. . .we haven't decided which is the better option yet. . .

    ReplyDelete