Monday, March 18, 2013

45 Month Average of Roadrunner Expenses

We have been at this now for 45 months.  We are bonafide full-timers.  By now, we have a feel for this lifestyle and many of its associated financial costs.  We also know there are many, many ways to do this. But I wanted to be able to answer the question, "How much does it cost to do that".

One answer is, "It depends".  If we have no major repairs or don't eat out too often or no trips or events in the month our costs are low.  But that is not realistic.  I want to know the 'usual' monthly costs.  I have attempted to track our costs every month and put together a compilation.

Below I show the Monthly Budget and our average over 45 months.  The red numbers show where we are over budget.  The two largest areas where we are over is in RV & Car Maintenance and in Miscellaneous Expenses.
RV and Car Maintenance included things like new tires, a new residential refrigerator, new AGM batteries, new inverter, manifold engine and gasket repairs as well as yearly generator maintenance.  Overall, at under $4,400 per month, I am satisfied.

The item that we will have to increase is our budget for diesel fuel. We intend to leave Virginia Beach in May and spend next winter in Arizona by way of Wisconsin and Oregon.

The other comparison I wanted to see was our most recent monthly expenses.  Last month we were well under budget.  That probably will not continue long but I wanted to show that every month is not full of  bad news.

It may seem I am fixated on Finances.  On one hand I am.  On the other, I find great freedom in knowing where things are for us financially.  One great concern of getting older and retiring is wondering if we are spending our future.  At this point - we have been 'treading water' so to speak.  All in all we have not touched our savings and retirement accounts.  As long as we continue to monitor things and don't go crazy at some point, I think we will be fine.

I know life has a way of providing some challenges so we intend to take those in stride and figure it out when we need to.

For know - I feel much better being able to answer the question, "How much does it cost to live like you do?

As always, Thanks for joining us today on the Roadrunner Chronicles!  Until next time...