Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Volunteering Takes a Little Advance Preparation

Thanks for participating in my new poll!  It will be active for a few more days.
----------> (on side panel)
_______________
Pam and Joan and I ran a few errands in town and then returned to her house where I packed up the car and repacked Adam's car for its storage location on their property for a few months.

I did some yard work and trimmed some bushes in front of their house until I got stung by a wasp.  I haven't gotten stung in many years.  Joan's remedy worked like a champ - she rubbed aloe on it.  She broke off a section of a leaf and it took out the sting instantly.

I have a lot of work to do on tracking expenses so I spent time with that and will doing more today on it.

In the mid afternoon I got a call from Wycliffe Associates.
Pam and I are looking to volunteer at their location in Orlando Florida.  The application and approval process is sometimes lengthy so we need to get started well in advance of the Jan - Mar 2011 dates when we'd like to volunteer.  I talked with Pat and answered some questions.

She followed up and sent me a handbook document we need to read.  It contains policies and regulations and conduct procedures that volunteers need to agree with and follow.  We also need to complete some paperwork and then wait for approval and acceptance to participate in their volunteer activities.

Yesterday I also started the process with the Knoxville Habitat for Humanity organization.
I went online, found their Volunteer! button on the home page, filled out an online form and will wait to be contacted.  We can envision being here in Maynardville (outside of Knoxville) often and we'd love to see what we can do with Habitat here.

Virginia Beach is next.  I'll go to that web site and find their information and start that approval process too.
We are looking forward to the time when we get back to more of a routine and are able to spend some time volunteering at one of these places.  It will still be a few weeks before we can start swinging hammers again, but for now we can do the preparation and planning to make that happen.

Thanks for viewing the Roadrunner Chronicles today.  And thanks for your many comments too!  Hope your week is going well.

3 comments:

  1. You are so fortunate to be able to volunteer! We would love to do that, but we have no retirement so have to work for pay. At least we get to be in many different places where we can see and share God's love. It's an exciting life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are good people to "play it forward"...Sound like a few adventures are in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy, Was I 150 or did you already get there? It was great to have you here! Hopefully we will see you again soon. You will love Wycliffe!

    ReplyDelete