There were only a few things on our list but they were important enough to get over here to get them done:
- Fix (e.g. repaint) clear coat peeling on the front and back top (the end caps) of the motor home.
- Raise sink end of galley counter and drawers so it doesn't make contact with the floor
- Re-caulk counter top and back splash on galley after it is raised
- See if we can get 1" trim wall paper that matches our year for areas where it meets wall and countertops
- Ask best way to fix trim and walls that are faded/worn by waiter and moisture
- Replace rivet in corner connect piece trim on outside of Passenger Side (PS) from slide
- Check rails to see if any cracking has occurred
- Check floors under slide outs and wet bay to make sure they are still solid
And we decided to check how much it would be to install rope lights along the interior up near the ceiling over the front slides outs
First, the repaint job and clear coat for the front and rear caps. We pulled into Bruce Deaton's Paint and Body Shop and left the Roadrunner there.
They pulled it into a bay and started taping it off. Next they sanded down the areas were the Clear Coat was peeling.
We didn't want to let this go as it has a way of getting away from you and the next thing you know we'd have peeling down the front and back of the motor home. Didn't want that. Plus, it's easier to catch it early and get it fixed. That way we don't have a lot of high $$ at once.
Then they sprayed it, let it dry and we picked it up shortly after 2PM.
1 - So our first item got checked off - Fixed the peeling paint.
We had to wait a couple of days before they called us into Express Bay #8. We got the call just before 11:00 and were there waiting for them after they returned from supper.
Next, "lifting the sink side of the galley" in the PS slideout.
Pam removed everything from under the sink. Then they unscrewed two side panels on the right side of the cupboard under the sink.
Next, they got a block of wood and a crowbar and slide it under the whole unit raising it up about 3/4".
That was enough to place a 3" piece of trim under the supporting structure (right where the tip of the arrow is in the above photo).
2 - Whey the crow bar was removed that small shim raised the galley about 1/4" off the ground. Mission accomplished.
We could have re-caulked the counter top ourselves but since they had the materials right there, we asked them to.
On to the wallpaper next and the tech went to see if he could find a 1" four foot piece. I figured that would be a good way to patch and repair some of the places where it is curling up and getting squeezed by the constant movement of the counters and walls as we roll down the road.
I really didn't want them to refinish the trim or walls where the moisture has affected the stain in the bathroom and sink area. I just wanted to get their take on how to do it myself. Not surprisingly, they said lightly sand, match it with a light cherry stain and get a clear spray finish on top.
6 - Done.
For some reason the pop rivet at the corner of the PS slide out was coming loose so I asked them to remove and replace. It took some doing when they tried to drill it out and 'buggered it up' to use his words. No problem. Just use a larger rivet.
While that was going on another tech climbed on the roof and check our rails for cracks. Looked good, no need to replace. He also checked the wet bay and the floor under each slide out. Those were good too.
7 - 8 The list was completed.
We did get some rope lights which I will show in another post.
Although we spent less that a week at Red Bay, we were glad we did. We got a lot done and we met some new friends. And we took a tour of the plant again (future post) and saw some of the changes around town in the campground (another post).
Thanks for joining us today on the Roadrunner Chronicles! Until next time...