The task for that day was to lay down the square ones. Another time we would get the tiles that had to be cut.
I got to lay a few but my job was primarily to get the mortar to Pam so she could put it down.
We let it dry and came back a few days later. This time, we needed some more supplies and a tile cutter. We went to Home Depot and got one more bag of mortar and three bags of grout and a sealer to mix it with. And a stir rod attachment for my electric drill. And a few other things.
Home Depot rents them for $68/day. Arnold Tool Rental had one for $55/day. Since it was a couple of miles from the cabin, I rented from there. It has a separate stand and we got it loaded into the back end of the CRV. Then I unloaded it at the cabin and got it all set up in place. It took a minute to hook up the water and get it flowing to the blade but it was really pretty easy.
That was our 'Habit for Marty' Saltillo Tile project. We figured it was 20 hours between the two of us and a fun project. We learned a lot and hope we can do another one. A couple of things we learned had to do with the equipment
- Kneel pads are essential. We had the expensive and the cheap (foam type). Foam type worked best.
- The stirrer attachment for electric drill is a must. We hand mixed the first mortar batch, but then got a small stirrer attachment. It made a big difference in the consistency.
- A tile cutter is required. We wouldn't attempt the project with out one.
That's it for this edition of the Roadrunner Chronicles! Thanks for joining us today. Until next time...