Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thank You Veterans!

Over the last few years, thanking veterans or those in the military has become popular.  I grew up respecting the military and those that served because my dad was a career military man.  He was seven years old at the beginning of the Depression.  In the 1930's he, like millions of other young men, joined the Civilian Conservation Corps.  Next, he joined the Army National Guard, then the Army Air Corps and retired from the U.S. Air Force in 1961.

I watched how we treated veterans during an unpopular Viet Nam War in the 1960's and 1970's.  After Operation Desert Shield/Gulf War I,  George H.W. Bush insisted that we honor the military and support our homecoming troops with parades.  That is when I remember things changing and veteran's being honored again.

My blogging friend Rick, has an excellent post on the History of the Red Poppy commemorating Veterans's Day.
h
I highly recommend you visit his blog!  He has one of the premier blogs out there.

Here is another take on the History of Veteran's Day

Are you a veteran?  Or a family member of a veteran?  Today is your day and we thank you!


Check in with us again at the Roadrunner Chronicles!  Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. And by the way, Thank you Randy and Pam for your services to the Armed Forces Tooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick's blog was fabulous...Our little town lost quite a few kids in the Vietnam War..That was a travesty how the returning vets were treated..I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete