Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Roadrunner Repairs

Since we have been here a while in Virginia Beach, I needed to get caught up on some maintenance and repair items.

The easy maintenance items included washing and polishing the RV.  I scrubbed the top of the roof and also cleaned the topper awnings over the slideouts.  I believe if we keep up on the maintenance this motorhome can last for years and years.  Friends have a motorhome that was built in the 1990's and it is in great shape so I figure there is no reason why ours can't be like that too.

One morning I got up and notice a large puddle under the Roadrunner.  I thought it had rained during the night but traced it back to a hole in the water hose that is connected to the outside faucet.  I think the hose had fatigued after coiling around the automatic reel for the last 7 years.  We found a replacement hose in the RV section of Walmart and replaced it.

Another repair/maintenance item I have been putting off is the Pressure Pro Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).  We bought new tires last September and I never went through the trouble to get the system recalibrated.  I tried a couple of times, even got on the phone with the tech rep and almost got the tires reset but…never had enough time to get all 10 reset.  I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing so that factored into things. As with some projects that become frustrating, I kept putting it off.  Finally, last week, I tinkered with it until it all read the tires and we are back in business.

I also put some removed the inside over at the passenger inside corner of the windshield and front side.  For some reason, we can hear squeaking/creaking as we barrel down the highway over bumpy roads.  After pinpointing it to that corner of the coach, we will see if we were successful.

About six weeks ago, while in Maine, we were going over one of those bumpy roads (bumpy highway roads) and I noticed the bottom part of our front mounted TV came loose.  It was like the whole bottom part of the TV was swinging front to back and only secure at the top.  Yikes!  I got out the duct tape and secure it for now so it wouldn't fall out.
I mulled over how to get at the inside and see where it had come loose.  I started with a Yahoo Group of which I am a member.  Briefly stated my issue and in a couple of days I got a very useful step by step explanation.  The guy who responded also suggested I ask the question on tiffinrvnetwork.com forum.  After his brief explanation, I didn't need to ask on the forum.

I removed the books I had stored in the left cabinet
and the wii equipment that was in the right cabinet next to the TV.
Then I removed two screws from the left and right bottom inside the cabinets.

Next, I took off the wood frame around the TV and unhooked the ir sensor.
From there, I could move the TV a little more out.  It was secured at the top, but the bottom metal mount were missing four 1" screws that had worked themselves loose.

I went to Home Depot and got fatter 1" screws and secured the TV mount back into the wooden TV frame.  It was done in a couple of minutes.
So that was my recent list of maintenance and repair items:
- Wash and polish the Roadrunner
- Reset and calibrate TPMS
- Repair/replace main water hose
- Put insulation over squeaking windshield/corner panel channel
- Secure TV brackets and mounts

Now I'm ready to start another list -

That's all for now on this edition of the Roadrunner Chronicles!  Thanks for joining us!  Until next time (from the mountains of Tennessee)...

4 comments:

  1. Yep...the RV is your house,and a house needs upkeep. Sounds like you are doing a great job of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is some impressive maintenance! Hopefully Tennessee won't get any of the coming storm since folks seem to be migrating that way. Stay safe and enjoy your perfectly maintained lovely motorhome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when people are doing these kind of things themselves. Looks like you've done great work there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up, constantly i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the break of day, for the reason that i enjoy to find out more and more.

    Also visit my web page :: planetside 2 cheats

    ReplyDelete