Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Tucson Rodeo Parade

Pam and I heard the rodeo was in town and that there was even a La Fiesta de los Vaqueros Rodeo Parade. We wanted to see the parade and the rodeo. The parade is one of the longest non-motorized parades in the world. Never seen one of those before.

We arrived about 45 minutes before it was supposed to start and parked about a mile away from the parade route. We found a place and joined the spectators on the sidelines.
It was a beautiful day when the banner rolled by for the start of the parade.
There were a number of school bands. In fact Tucson and area schools have Thursday and Friday off to celebrate the rodeo.
The floats and wagons rolled on by and it was like a parade out west years ago. It was neat.
With all the horses, I got used to the clip clop of their shoes on the pavement. I noticed it when a group of horses passed and did not have the familiar sound because they were shoeless.
I commented that I thought all horses had shoes.
I had never really thought about it but this is the first time I'd seen a lot that didn't have shoes.

There were more bands.
And all kinds of wagons and carts.
It was a typical parade only there were no trucks and cars and motorized machines.

We talked with the lady next to us (Barb) and found out she had a daughter in the parade and her husband was walking along with the high school band where he teaches.
And Barb is a teacher. Quite an accomplished teacher. She teaches 3rd grade and is one of five teachers in Arizona that were honored last year as 'Teachers of the Year'. Here is a link to a web site that tells about her: http://www.azedfoundation.org/teacher-of-the-year.php

You meet the nicest and most interesting people out here...

We watched the end of the parade and I expected to see the scooper, broom and bucket brigade. There were a lot of horses to clean up after.
Instead, the street sweepers were out in all their glory, all cleaned and polished up for the finale! It was a great day at the parade.

Thanks for joining me on the Roadrunner Chronicles today!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for taking me to the parade! I had a great seat and saw everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for going and posting pictures. It is a great country we live in. Keep up the great adventure. Last night we pondered spending 10 days in AG in our old RV parked there next month, but decided to save the money. This blog makes me think we should fly back down and enjoy Tucson again. Update: My boss says I get another year at my job, if I want it.

    ReplyDelete