We looked for a sheared off bolt, mulled it over and thought about it and decided the best thing to do was to get it back in and get it fixed at Red Bay. Pam pressed the button while I pushed the slide from the outside and it came back in snugly. Whew!
I don't know how to manually reel in the slides, but I know that it can be done. Glad I didn't have to learn that one...
One thing we did know (from previous experience) is that if the slide isn't operating correctly as in this case, we want to secure it with wood blocks. To do that, we had to measure the distance from the from of the inside wall at the top -- to the backside lip of the slide out.
Another day the keyless door entry quit working. We punched in the numbers and everything seemed to open and close OK on the bay doors but the front door did not work. We used an extra key and locked and unlocked the door for a few days.
Then Pam cleaned the contact points on the inside frame of the door. That did not help. A day later, we thought it might be a fuse. The fuse for the keyless entry is inside of the bottom front bay, behind the wall.
I removed the faceplate / wall and found the fuses. There were two and we inspected both and they looked good.
Besides troubleshooting the door and the slide out, I think we are good to go. We've ordered the carpet from Lowe's and it should be there next week. Hopefully all will go well.
Thanks for joining us today on the Roadrunner Chronicles!